Started in Barcelona in 1904 by two Swiss engineers, Hispano-Suiza produced automobile and aircraft engines. The H6’s 6-cylinder overhead crankshaft engine was based on a Hispano-Suiza aircraft engine design.
Hispano-Suiza built the chassis of this particular car, and a coach builder was hired to design and create the body. Nieuport, a French aviation company, designed and built this car’s elegant shell for Andre Dubonnet, the heir to the Dubonnet liqueur fortune and an engineering talent in his own right. In order to meet Dubonnet’s maximum body weight specification, Nieuport built the car of mahogany strips attached to an aluminum frame. This cutting-edge vehicle also featured a Dubonnet-invented front suspension system, versions of which were later used by General Motors and Alfa Romeo.
The car can be seen at the Blackhawk Automotive Museum in Danville, California.
Photo Credit: Bill Abbott